Friday, October 01, 2004

Kudos To The Black Comunity

Kudos to the Black Community

I am thankful to Sis. Khadijah Black for informing me about the article, “Kobe Bryant’s accuser: A white Tawana Brawley” by Lloyd Williams, Esq. Although the article makes many salient points, its major premise is based on misinformation and disinformation engineered by news organizations like CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, CNN, the New York Times, the New York Post, the Daily News and Newsday.
Tawana Brawley was kidnapped and raped nearly seventeen years ago but she is still discussed daily by the news media. On any given day, Tawana is in the news. The media, however, refuses to allow any defender of Tawana or accuser of Steven Pagones to be heard.
If white supremacists are still attacking Tawana, why should Blacks cower in fear? Black activists met in Newburgh, NY on December 12, 1987 and made a solemn promise that they would aggressively and openly stay with Tawana until victory is achieved. I relied on this representation in making a decision to represent the Brawley family pro bono.
Although victory is near, it still has not been achieved and it will not be achieved until Eliot Spitzer, the state attorney general, unconditionally releases the Brawley files unedited. The truth shall set Tawana free. In the meantime, I have seen virtually every promisor to the December 12 compact abandon this struggle in the face of continuing assaults from white supremacists. In the last few months, I have been virtually isolated even among activist leaders. This is a real lesson for the Black community.
It should show any conscientious observer of the deep control that white supremacists have over our community and the fact that they have thrown off the gloves rather than to continue to make it appear that they are after some of these activists. It is important that we learn from the lessons of history.
My heart goes out to African Echoes which defied the slavemasters and invited me to its Sunday forum on September 12. This was no small feat. I am also heartened by the invitation of Prof. Elizabeth Anderson to address her class at York College, 94-20 Guy Brewer Blvd. in Queens on September 29 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. I look forward to this address on “The History of Diversity and Racial Oppression in the United States.”
I am particularly grateful to Sis. Karen Mason for establishing www.reinstatealtonmaddox.com to communicate with my people especially since I have been nearly banned from virtually all media outlets except the weekly column in the Amsterdam News. These efforts would be impossible, however, without support from members of our community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home