Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Letter to Rev. Al Sharpton

ALTON H. MADDOX, JR. TELEPHONE: 718-834-9034
FAX: 718-834-1275
16 COURT STREET, SUITE 1901
BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11241



October 11, 2005


Rev. Al Sharpton
President
National Action Network
52 E. 125th St.
New York, New York 10035

Re: Maddox v. Prudenti, et. al.

Dear Rev. Sharpton:

The above-referenced civil rights action relates to my wrongful and unprecedented suspension from the practice of law. I had asked you to appear at a September 16 hearing in Brooklyn Federal Court to give pertinent testimony. You failed to appear but a person informed me that you were only fifteen minutes away.

It would not have been in my best interest to tell any judge that you were 15 minutes away. Since you had not delivered this message to me yourself, the claim of your being only 15 minutes away could have very well been a trick. This would have worked to the benefit of the state attorney general who is representing the state judges.

I remember very vividly your anxious telephone call to me in 1989. You asked me to represent you pro bono in two indictments containing 70-counts. No reason existed for me to expect any financial support from anyone including yourself, Don King and James Brown.

The trial lasted four months denying me an opportunity to enjoy any income and I would ultimately have to borrow thousands of dollars to pay for your trial, pay office expenses and keep food on the table. Like with so many other Blacks, I stood with you alone in terms of financial support.

Fortunately for our ancestors, you and I are different. I am requesting that you submit an affidavit to me at the front desk of my home address on or before Saturday, October 15 outlining all facts pertaining to the political campaign of Eliot


Spitzer in 1988 and concerning any promises made by him for his assistance in my immediate reinstatement to practice law in New York.

You and Rev. William A. Jones summoned me to his home soon after the Pagones v. Maddox, et. al. defamation trial in Dutchess County in 1988. Both of you allegedly wanted to support Spitzer in order to ensure that I would be reinstated to practice law in 1999. Subsequently, you and Rev. Jones made campaign promises to the Black community. I have been told that Spitzer spoke at the House of Justice and affirmed this campaign promise. You and others met with Spitzer at his office in September 2002.

A Spitzer representative met with me, yourself and Black elected officials at the House of Justice in December 2002. These meetings and others occurred to purportedly implement Spitzer’s plan for my reinstatement. From the outset, I informed you that I would not accept any condition for my reinstatement to practice law which would compromise Tawana and Glenda Brawley and violate your right to the attorney-client privilege. Only a client can waive the privilege.

See the testimony of now Chief Justice John Roberts before the Senate Judiciary Committee and California v. Michael Jackson. Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers is also preparing to exercise the privilege. Of course, this civil rights action may not, as a matter of law, focus on events leading up to my suspension amid your trial in 1990. Your affidavit should be limited to Spitzer in his capacity as a political candidate for state attorney general in 1988 and as state attorney general.

Your affidavit will be attached to a motion seeking the disqualification of Spitzer and his office to represent the state judges in the above-referenced civil rights action. Again, I need this affidavit by Saturday, October 15. The possibility of a federal judge ruling in my favor depends on your recollection of the within circumstances.

This affidavit must be made on personal knowledge. Hearsay is like car fumes. You should also identify anyone who has personal knowledge of the within relevant matters including the identity of any person who was present when Spitzer spoke at the House of Justice. A list of possible deponents should include members of the National Action Network. They should feel free to contact me forthwith.

I hope that you understand, as Dr. Martin L. King, Jr., asserted, “an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” This moral principle prompted me to


represent you, the Black community and so many others pro bono during my legal career.

Because I am not addicted to the media and to materialism, I was able to ensure that you would not be sent to prison and would able to be a breadwinner to your family. These fifteen years, out of my legal career, were criminal. Hopefully, it will prompt you to tell the truth in a detailed affidavit.

Very truly yours,



Alton H. Maddox, Jr.
AHM:sr
Enc.
Overnight Delivery

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home