Thursday, August 26, 2010

Political Experiences in Albany and Syracuse
This past Friday, I had a conversation with Kermit Eady who informed me of the difficulties he was encountering securing signatures for the Freedom Party in Albany. Although my weekend schedule was already full, I told him that Bro. James Patnaude and I would be in Albany late Saturday morning. None of us knew anything about Albany.

We started at a bus stop in downtown Albany, which looked like a ghost town on Saturday. We drove up Central Avenue to a suburban mall several miles away from Albany. Few Blacks and Latinos were shopping. We headed back to Albany. Patnaude spotted a high-rise building seemingly populated by Blacks.

This became our headquarters for approximately four hours. Eady and Patnaude would knock on ever door in the building. I would cover the entrance. When the smoke had cleared, we had secured over one hundred signatures. If all of these signatures were valid, we had put the 21st Congressional District in the "win column".

The rule of thumb though is that three times the minimum number of signatures is safe. This meant that we had to keep on pushing. Our stomachs were demanding food first. Afterwards, we headed back to the Black community. We hit the streets. We noticed a cook-out wherein we were able to secure approximately 30 signatures.

This was past nine o'clock in the evening. Bro. Patnaude and I had to find a hotel. It took us four hours. The ponies were running at the Saratoga Race Track. The high-rollers were in Albany and a place to lay your head was at a premium. We had a few hours before we headed to Kerhonkson. We landed outside Albany.

On Sunday morning, we headed back into Albany. I had slept about three hours. This was more of an adventure than words can describe. We decided to change the venue. In another tall building, we met opposition. The door was blocked by an agent of the Cuomo campaign. Pedestrian traffic was not brisk.

We were also ordered off church property. Church members were not in agreement with this Cuomo obstructionist. These were not mega churches. Yet, some signatures were secured. At another church, we were able to secure another few signatures. Before we left Albany, we had been able to secure approximately 170 signatures. This was a start.

Patnaude and I had to get to Kerhonkson for the "Family Day" of Freedom Retreat for Boys and Girls. This family gathering ended about 7:00 p.m. I needed some materials for moot court the following morning. There was no equipment nor a wire signal for copying. We had to leave the grounds. Upon my return, I had to huddle with the girls about moot court.

Since I had to write a program for UAM's forum on Wednesday, I had to locate a place to use a fax machine overnight. Among other things, I had to write a program message and try to canvass a schedule of events. This meant that Sis. Sarah Russell would have to stay up all-night while I wrote the program.

We would return to Kerhonkson. Sis. Marcia Theadford had also been scheduled to deliver a message on "Ban the N-Word". I spoke to the girls and yielded to the guest speaker. Bro. Patnaude and I would head to Syracuse. I had already been to Syracuse alone. I expected no welcome mat. I had found the leaders to be solidly in Cuomo's camp.

When we arrived in Syracuse, we would not be disappointed. We had a meeting with about 40 Blacks. At the end of a two-hour encounter, we had secured only two signatures. It took me an hour to secure a single signature. Bro. Patnaude was able to secure a signal signature and one person had only printed his name. A signature was lacking.

Enroute to a resting place, we stopped at a grocery store. When I exited the store, Bro. Patnaude was engaged in a debate. One of these persons described himself as a "Moor". His uncle signed. The Moor refused.

When I pressed him, he admitted that he had to feed his family with a government paycheck from New York. When I associated fear with his being a "Moor", he went ballistics. He also denigrated Harriet Tubman. A white store employee asked him to pipe down. He was still spewing "fighting words".

My body has not hit the bed. The maid is happy. I could have easily slept in the car. I am wearing three hats. My responsibilities with the Freedom Party include political strategy, political education and political work. Some people in Syracuse want to view a website. This means political writings.

I also have a continuing responsibility with United African Movement and Freedom Retreat for Boys and Girls. There is a forum on Wednesday evening at 1068 Harriet Tubman (Fulton Street) in Brooklyn at 7:00 p.m. and moot court on Friday morning. Preparation has to be done for both.

The Freedom Party is in dire need of volunteers,
yesterday. Hopefully, the jaws of defeat will not chew up the Freedom Party's victory. Several congressional districts still have to be completed. Long Island is an example with four congressional districts seeking minimum signatures. Poughkeepsie and Newburgh are in the 22nd Congressional District and White Plains is in the 18th Congressional District. They also need help. The Freedom Party will be in Newburgh Thursday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home